Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Homemade Baby Wipes

Store bought wipes (even the "sensitive" brands) are often filled with nasty chemicals that irritate your little baby's tiny bottom.  I have been making homemade wipes for over six years, and have never had a diaper rash on any of my babies that lasted more than a day. If they get a rash it's generally because I didn't know they had poopy diapers, and let them sit in them too long.  With the lavender and melaleuca oils their bottoms are disinfected, soothed and protected.

Here's what you need:

1 roll of cloth-like paper towels (I use Viva)
2 cups water
2 tsps gentle shampoo (I use doTerra's Protecting Shampoo)
5 drops doTerra lavender oil
5 drops doTerra melaleuca oil


1.  Lay the roll of paper towels on its side, and cut the roll of paper towels in half - do not use a serrated knife...so messy!      

2.  Place one half of the paper towels (core included) into a sealable container

3.  Combine water, shampoo, lavender and melaleuca oil (stir together)

4.  Pour liquid mixture over paper towels and allow them to absorb the liquid




5.  Once the liquid has been absorbed completely, the core of the paper towels will easily pull out

Viola!  Homemade baby wipes!

 Just seal close them up, and keep them on your changing table!  

I bought two of the containers, so when I make wipes I can just do both halves of the paper towels at once.

5 comments:

  1. YES! This is my favorite stuff you make! I will do this for baby #3 fo shizzle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep - works for me too I have shared your blog as a guest spot on mine as it really is a fab recipe - a friend of mine showed me she had just 2 sheets tucked inside an empty kinder egg and I always seem to be the mum who suddenly needs a wet wipe lol !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done for all your hard work in providing this high quality blog.Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you buy your containers? Are they plastic or glass? If plastic, do you worry about the oils breaking down the plastic? Would love to make these, just can't find a good glass container so far (online). Also not sure what size it needs to be. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry I'm just now seeing this comment! My container is made of plastic - and since I'm not using any citrus oils I haven't really been too concerned with the oils breaking down the plastic. They are quite diluted and like I said - citrus is the main plastic offender! :)

      I bought my containers at Target about eight years ago - and they are just rubbermaid. I would suggest taking a roll of paper towels with you to the store and honestly, just seeing if it will fit!

      My containers are starting to get a little old - and I really would PREFER them to be in glass - so I may start looking for some different options. I will keep you posted on what I find. Again - SO SORRY for the delay!

      Delete